China Doll - Book Trailer of the Day



This video tackles two of the problems we've seen before: (1) trying to make video look professional, (2) combining what seems to be a documentary with the trailer for a novel. I feel the same way I do about Druids and Ghost Horse Hollow. Folks, I love that you tried, I really do. The acting and cinematography in this is surprisingly good. But it still just doesn't look professional. If you compare this video to the quality of a lot of book trailers out there, it stands head and shoulder above the rest, but if you compare it to standard Hollywood output, it comes up short. The problem is that the viewer subconsciously thinks if the video quality is not top notch, the writing won't be either. This is a fallacy, of course; writers are good at writing, not necessarily video production. But subconsciously the thought is there.

Finally, length. Very, very seldom does a book trailer need to be long. I would target 100 seconds as the upper limit. This book trailer could have ended at 49 seconds and packed a punch.

Comments

C. N. Nevets said…
Wow, I really did think it was about to end at 00:49.
What is this??? Seriously, I couldn't even finish watching it. I agree with you that it could have ended easily at 49 seconds, and I do agree that cinematography wasn't bad for an amateur level, but I dislike any book trailer that makes the book out to look like a movie or an overly dramatized stage play. It's a book, not a show.
lotusgirl said…
I like the book trailers I've seen that just use still shots. With video there's too much of a chance of it being cheesy or coming across unprofessional which doesn't help sell your book at all.
Unknown said…
hello all I'm the maker of the book trailer and want to thank you all for the feedback. its tough to do something with a small budget that will aspire to the beauty of the book. Talia's book was a wonderful read and I thank her for giving me the opportunity to do this.
respectfully,
John Ray Gutierrez