Except - Dragon and Unicorn Discuss the Value of a College Education


Here's an excerpt just for fun. Both characters are devi, magical creatures who spend much of their time in human form. He is the Dragon Emperor, and she, a Sea Unicorn, is his prisoner. Her people are pacifists.

He offered her the goblet, but she shook her head. He shrugged, lounged in the chair and gulped deeply. “What do you do all day long in a city where no one ever fights? I can’t even imagine it.”

“We commune. Share ourselves. Don’t look at me like that. I don’t mean physically. I speak of emotional connections, intellectual connections. I myself was enrolled in my sixth decade of college.” She added proudly, “We have a number of universities.”

“What do you study with no history of war?”

“We learn how to build castles in the sand. To herd bubbles. To discern at once and discuss at length. To distinguish between melancholy and nostalgia, between reverence and envy. To see a world in a grain of sand.”

“I sympathize. My schooling was a complete waste as well.”

“I didn’t know dragons pursued higher education. What did you study?”

“How to drink, fornicate and devour the hearts of one’s enemies.”

She looked appalled.

“Business major,” he explained.

Comments

Lucas Darr said…
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Nice! Hehe. :)

I love that picture, too.
Sara Raasch said…
HA!

Wow, this is -- frighteningly accurate. Gotta love college ;)
Ban said…
ahem ... hee hee hee :)