My Vampire Story


I've now got the goth font and the black background... what am I really saying with my blog look? Perhaps I should be writing a vampire story. 

Well, actually....

I, too, have a vampire story. Yes. Really. April Fool's is over, and I'm not a ninja of humor, so you can trust me on this. According to Nathan's poll, they aren't passe yet. Don't worry, this isn't the topic of my Secret Novel. I haven't had a full idea yet, only an inkling of one -- the core of the story, the unique twist.

It definitely has a unique twist. Not sparkles. It's never been done before. 

Unfortunately, there may have been a good reason for that.

My vampires are unlikely to make tweenyboppers swoon. I wanted to address Lady Glamis' question about what is the obsession with zombies and vampires and other ghoulies. (Actually, ghouls are much under used.) How much of a twist do you need to justify revisiting a much-used trope like vampires (or zombies or werewolves or Americans in Paris). How far can you twist an idea before you risk losing the elements of the archetypes which make them beloved?

(Pictured: Sharon Tate as Sarah Shagal in The Fearless Vampire Killers. I saw this cheesy movie years ago. I love her dress.)

Comments

How far can you twist an idea before you risk losing the elements of the archetypes which make them beloved?

There's always room for a new idea in a good story that's written well. So, like, twist as far as you want. Give us a new beloved archtype.
Sara Raasch said…
As long as the twist really is something new and fresh, it'll work. Just stay far, far away from the outcast-newcomer-falls-for-mysteriously-magical-student-who-turns-out-to-be-less-than-"human." That story line must be put to rest for a few years.
Ban said…
tara you've warmed my heart - i confess, i've got one too and know exactly what you're talking about. back in the 80's i watched a show called 'kindred' the embraced and after it's too sudden ending a story began to evolve. i would work on it now and again, when my main WIP wanted a break but i haven't since the whole twilight thing. so will i ever pick it up again ? yep, maybe when things blow over a bit and people stop writing so much vampire erotica. just remember: "what has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" Ecc.1:9 :D
Hey, now I'm all interested! Twist away, m'dear.
Danyelle L. said…
I think a good story has more to do with the writing and the execution than just the ideas, although the ideas are important to.

I love her dress too, even though I've never seen the movie. :)
Traci said…
Ohhh!!! I like a good twist! ;-)
Personally think that anything that functions with the old stcok evil characters (like vampires) as evil characters is now practically revolutionary. All the vampire lit recently has been about how wonderful they can be.